Home > Gardening > Pear leaf blister mite

Pear leaf blister mite

I gave the orchard its petal-fall or fruit-set spraying this morning and of course, not having rained for several days, it decided to rain 2 hours later. Typical.

Leaves (and fruit?) affected by blister mites

While spraying I noticed that one of the pear trees was looking poorly. I looked on the internet and am inclined to think it has blister mites.

These mites are microscopic and they overwinter under the bud scales ready to emerge in the spring. They suck sap from the leaves and secrete chemicals which cause the blisters.

Apparently there’s no product currently available to amateurs for treating the pest. The main remedy is to remove the affected leaves unless the tree is heavily infested (as in this case) when it could do more harm than good. 

Apparently it doesn’t mean there won’t be fruit, although I’ve noticed that the little fruit in the photo has something wrong with it, too.

The photo below is of another part of the tree – possibly worse affected still.

More leaves affected by the blister mites

Advertisements
  1. No comments yet.
  1. June 25, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: