Archive for January 23, 2013

Parvovirus and Coccidiosis

January 23, 2013 2 comments
Galileo will be a shadow of his former self

Galileo will be a shadow of his former self

It would seem that poor little Galileo has both of these.

The first is a virus, obviously, which young puppies are protected against first by their mother’s antibodies, then by the vaccine which Galileo should have had between the age of one and two months.

The second is a parasite, which he would have ingested before he came to us as there is a 13 day incubation period.

He’s basically a very sick puppy.

The vet has said that we can rule out the possibility of heart failure from the fatal strain of parvovirus, but there’s still the possibility of the coccidiosis causing neurological problems so he’s not out of danger.

He’s not eating, apparently, which is very unlike him. He’s normally so hungry that he gobbles his food frenetically.

He can’t come home till he eats. The vet estimates he’ll have to stay with them another couple of days.


January 23, 2013 4 comments
Galileo looking almost as ill as he is

Galileo looking almost as ill as he is

Galileo has contracted parvovirus and we’re waiting to see if he pulls through.

His faeces has been loose for some time, but yesterday evening he started vomiting.

I phoned our local vet twice in the late evening, and again this morning. Each time I was advised to bring him to the 5.00 – 7.00 pm surgery today, and not to give him anything to eat; latterly not to let him drink either.

Galileo produced a lake of blood-stained faeces just before I took him to the surgery.

At the surgery the vet put him on an intravenous drip for a short time and injected him with an antibiotic. He sent him home with us saying that if he didn’t vomit or do diarrhoea any more, then he might make it, but implied it was touch and go.

At about 8.00 pm Galileo did projectile diarrhoea that seemed to be almost pure blood and I tried to phone this same local vet. He never picked up.

There was no way we were going to lie down under this. I phoned another vet, considerably further away but whom we’ve known for years, on his emergency number.

He met us at his surgery just before 9.00 pm, gave Galileo subcutaneous fluids and an anti-vomiting injection, and took him in for the night to be kept warm under an infra-red lamp and be checked on every hour.

Now we have to wait.

We can phone at 9.30 am tomorrow to see if he’s survived so far.

Apparently he stands a reasonable chance, being thus hydrated, PROVIDED it isn’t the strain of the virus which attacks the muscles of the heart. In that case there’s nothing we can do, or could have done.