Clive was due to have a colonoscopy next Monday but a few things came to light when I made some phonecalls.
- The people who were due to do the procedure had no idea he had a colostomy.
- I had difficulty convincing them they were supposed to be examining the intestine above the colostomy.
- The intestine below the colostomy won’t be looked at but warrants it more.
- The consultant who ordered the colonoscopy is on holiday and therefore not available to answer questions.
- The preparation wasn’t adapted but simply made the most rigorous, and would undoubtedly have made Clive ill for 5 days.
- The district nurse isn’t available to help with the last-minute cleansing.
We decided there was too much at risk (not least the integrity of Clive’s intestine) and accordingly cancelled.