There isn’t a lion’s mouth for the water to come out of but I’d love it if there were.
This is water from the spring, emerging to cascade down the waterfall we built for it years ago.
The pipe above was broken after a stake got driven through it, but Giovanni and I repaired it by threading through a new pipe of a slightly smaller bore.
Now the pond at the bottom is full again and there’s the music of water in the garden – for as long as rain feeds the spring, that is.
Clive’s admission to the Rehabilitation Centre has been permanently cancelled owing to erroneous factual information being imparted to them by a mysterious third party. I haven’t been able to find out the identity of the third party, nor ascertain why they were given more credence than both the official report and my contradiction.
I spent all morning on the phone, and finally went for a walk in the afternoon.
One of the pleasures or annoyances (depending on how you view it) of going for a walk on your own land is that you inevitably find something to fix.
In this case it was the pipe which emerges from a little stone building cut into the hillside. It conducts water from the spring through various tubes and structures as far as the pond.
It’s possible I left one of the screw fittings loose to mitigate the onward flow last winter, but it’s also possible that a hunter wanted to give his dog some water and filled the little stainless steel bowl there.
In any case, there was a continuous stream of water coming out from the fitting, and the lime scale caked on the thread made it difficult to screw up tight. I spent some time on the case, and seem to have reduced the stream to a drip!
Chokri, our seasonal gardener and handyman from Tunisia, is endlessly resourceful.
One of the things that most impressed me was his way of keeping a corrugated plastic pipe in position on top of the water tank it was emptying into. He tied a brick round the pipe on a long string and dangled it down inside the mouth of the tank. Simple but totally effective.
Today he had to chip out some old tile fixative so as to be able to re-bed the tiles. We didn’t have a robust enough chisel so he used our disc cutter to adapt the end of a twisted steel bar.
The resulting sparks were quite dramatic.
With all the recent rain, the spring is still flowing abundantly.
Today Chokri and I overhauled my Japanese water cascade so that the bulk of the water escaping from the blue pig runs right away.
First we took out one section of the pipe that goes into the blue pig, and sent the water directly from the broad pipe into the top, wrapping a piece of tarpaulin round it to prevent debris going in.
Then we built a snake of roof tiles, weaving in and out of the violets, down to the foot of the bank.
At the end of the channel we put a tray for the dogs to drink out of.
It wasn’t long before we had our first customers.
Yesterday morning I spent a happy half hour or so in my dressing gown anchoring down a flapping corner of the pool tarpaulin.
It now has, weighing it down, a supremely heavy concrete kerb (hidden under the folds in the photo), 2 pieces of heavy concrete coping, some plant tubs full of rubble, an old paint tub filled with stones and water, and a log.
Several of these items, including the log, are extra to what there was before so it had better not DARE to come loose again.
Today I was walking near the house with the dogs when suddenly the tarpaulin which had been covering the blue pig flew up in the air and nearly took off.
Rather than battle with it in the teeth of the gale, I pinned it on the ground with a wooden pallet.
I noticed that the pipe which is taking the spring water to the blue pig (and thence to the pond) was all disjointed and water was flying out of the joints on the wind.
However, given that the pipe into the pond is still running full bore plus there’s water coming out of the top of the blue pig itself, the pipes are obviously managing to pass along a good part of their load.
Bearing in mind the adage ‘If it ain’t broke don’t fix it,’ I’ve let them be for now!
Our spring is flowing copiously at the moment, and water is escaping out of the top of the blue pig water tank into which it runs.
This isn’t anything unusual. What is different, though, is that the overflow pipe which goes from the top of the blue pig into the pond is flowing at scarcely more than a trickle, which may mean that it’s furred up with the hard water.
This situation is only due to get worse, so I attached one end of a hose to the tap at the bottom of the blue pig and put the other end in the pond. Even with the tap turned on fully there is still water escaping from the top of the blue pig, which just goes to show how much spring water there is.
In the middle of all this messing about with water (one of my favourite activities) I spotted a red admiral butterfly sunning itself on a rock in the pond.
It was quite tenacious, returning again and again after my shadow scared it away.
It looked a bit the worse for wear. I expect it will be searching for a place to hibernate before long.